Sunday, June 21, 2009


Sami and Zoran came to visit us during the week of June 14. On Thursday they joined Erin and I for a trip to the Carlsbad Caverns and Guadalupe Mountains (just over the New Mexico border into Texas).
Erin is trying to get into shape to hike with me to the top of Guadalupe Peak so she took along her daypack for a short stroll up the Guadalupe Peak trail. She has a new pair of hiking boots so she's working on breaking them in along with her feet! She's doing pretty well. Zoran and Sami pose here with one of the peaks in the background.

Zoran, Dad, and Erin taking a breather about 1/2 mile into the uphill trail. Here we're about 400 feet above the parking lot where we started. We were originally planning to hike further, but it was late in the afternoon and rain was iminent (we had no rain gear!). The short walk did get our hearts pounding.



Below is a jagged peak to the west of where we ended our short hike. The Guadalupes are actually a limestone reef once buried under an ancient ocean. The outside slopes are mostly treeless, but at the top there is a forest composed of both conifer and deciduous trees.





1 comment:

Hilarywho said...

Jerry! What a surprise to see your comment on my blog. I'm sorry I was spelling your name wrong, I don't know why I thought it was with a G. I've corrected it.

It was great to have a comment from your mom, too. I was just thinking about your family last weekend - we were at the boat races in Elizabeth Park and one of the racers was Mike Affholter. I wondered if it was your brother?

I saw your dad about a year ago in the Dunkin Donuts on Eureka near Biddle. I said hello and told him who I was, but I'm not sure he remembered me.

I lived on the west side of Michigan from 1979 till a little over a year ago. It was a new job for my partner that brought me back to the Detroit area. We've been living on Grosse Ile, but just bought a house in Huntington Woods.

There are also two pictures of you on my Flickr photo page. Go to www.flickr.com/photos/hilarywho There's a sidebar on the first page. Scroll down the sidebar to the collection called "other stuff" (or something like that.) Within that collection there is a set called "vintage."

Looks like you're enjoying your life in New Mexico. Hope all is well with you and yours. Please tell you mom hello - I always think of her with much affection.

Hilary Harper (Lori) Hilhar@sbcglobal.net